Here Are Some Common Questions


When does my hail coverage begin?

The first year, your coverage with SMHI comes into effect at 12 o’clock noon on the day following your application date. After your first year, coverage is continuous and effective from May 15th through October 31 or until the crop is harvested. With each new year, simply file your crop report (with crop type, acres, indemnity and deductible option) by June 15th and you’re covered.

AMHI and PMHI hail insurance coverage comes into effect at 12 o’clock noon on the day following your application date and remains in effect until October 31st or until the crop is harvested.

What if I farm in two or more provinces?

If your land is near the Saskatchewan borders, we have you covered. Simply apply for separate policies – one for each province.

What if I already have hail insurance through another agency?

Our AMHI and PMHI products offer spot loss hail insurance coverage which can be bought as a standalone product or in combination with existing coverage.

Can I apply for insurance after a hail storm?

Yes. If the estimated loss is 9% or less you can fill out the application and apply immediately. If the loss is greater than 9% and less than 25%, there is a ten day waiting period before you are able to fill out the application and apply.

If this has happened, we advise that you give our office a call for advice. Each situation is different and the date of loss and stage of the crop is critical in determining whether or not we can accept the application after a hail storm.

If you’re enrolled in the SMHI hail insurance program, there is no concern at all if the loss occurs prior to June 15. If your crops are damaged by hail after June 15 and you have not filed your crop report, your crops are automatically insured at $30 per acre with Full Coverage.

What are the limitations of liability under my hail insurance policy?

Liability will not be accepted by Municipal Hail for any loss as a result of disease, insect damage, lodging, delayed maturity or loss of market occurring in any insured crop which has been damaged by hail.


I've already bought a hail insurance policy but want to add more coverage. How do I do this?

For SMHI, if hail has not fallen and you have not already applied for the maximum indemnity available, you can apply to increase your coverage with your RM administrator by June 30th. After this date, your only option for increased coverage is to purchase a policy with AMHI or PMHI.

For AMHI, simply contact your agent for additional coverage. In this case, the coverage will be stacked and the only difference noticed will be the coverage date (and of course the indemnity and deductible you chose on this application).

For PMHI, simply go through our site and create another application. In this case, the coverage will be stacked and the only difference noticed will be the coverage date (and of course the indemnity and deductible you chose on this application).

Can I cancel my insurance?

For SMHI, you can cancel your coverage as long as the crop has been destroyed by some cause other than hail. The last date to file and receive a credit is July 29. More information on this can be found on the reverse of your first claim form or by using the Cancellation of Insurance form. The cancellation credit percentage will be determined from the date the cancellation notice is received at head office.

With AMHI and PMHI, you can cancel your coverage for any reason and credit will be given if the cancellation request is received prior to July 29. For more information see the Confirmation Letter attached to your policy.

Do I have to renew my policies each year?

For SMHI, coverage is continuous but you still have to report your seeded acres, indemnity and deductible option by June 15th to secure increased coverage above the basic amount.

AMHI and PMHI policies do require annual renewals.

How do I correct a mistake on my application?

Reporting a mistake is very easy, simply advise your local RM administrator or agent or contact our office as soon as the error has been found. You must make the notification in writing by email or fax and you can always call our offices at 1-877-414-7644 for assistance.

Filing a Claim

Hail just hit my insured crops. What do I do now?

You will begin the claims process by filling out the Claims Form attached to your application or by signing in to your account and completing it online or by phoning our office at 1-877-414-6744. If you filled out the Claims Form that was attached to your application, you are able to fax it to us at 306-522-3717 or you can email it in to us at

What if hail or frost damage occurs during the early stages of crop growth?

In the event of hail damage in the early stages of crop growth – prior to heading or podding – a loss factor may be applied in determining the payable loss.

If frost damage occurs in the early stages of crop growth, where other similar crops in the area were NOT hailed or are not frozen, Municipal Hail is prepared to review the claim.

Evidence must be left unharvested and a written request for review must be received on or before October 31st of the current year. For more information, contact our office at 1-877-414-7644.

What should I do if I plan on being away from my crops during the grow season?

It’s important to appoint someone to represent your crops and check on your fields in the event a storm hits while you’re away (also considered “Power of Attorney”). Your policy coverage requires a hail damage claim to be filed within 3 days of the hail storm; however, if for whatever reason your claim is filed after 72 hours, we will always accept it. Certain conditions may apply and your claim will be assessed as long as evidence remains in the field for a proper adjustment.

If there are any other questions regarding this, please don’t hesitate to call our office at 1-877-414-6744.

My crop is ready for harvest and was hit by hail, what should I do?

File your claim as you normally would and remember to leave adequate evidence for the adjustment if the crop is being harvested prior to our adjustment. Reference the back of your claim form for more information regarding Evidence To Be Left Prior To Adjustment.

If you have any questions on how to assess the damage, contact our office at 1-877-414-7644 and we’ll be more than happy to assist you through the process.

When will my loss payment be issued?

Once your signed claim is submitted to head office by our adjuster, we quickly review and process your claim. If your claim passes all of the checks, your cheque for the indemnity owing is generally paid within 30 days of the adjustment date.

Still have questions?

We are always happy to help.